The Institute of Physics of Advanced Materials (IPAM) is a research institute at Ufa State Aviation Technical University (Ufa, Russia). The institute specializes in nanostructuring of metals through SPD processing, the physics of strength and ductility of nanostructured materials, the development of the physical fundamentals of their mechanical behavior.
The institute’s main research areas include:
- fundamental studies aimed at obtaining new knowledge on the structure and properties of nanostructured structural and functional materials;
- development of severe plastic deformation (SPD) processing techniques for fabrication of bulk ultrafine-grained (UFG) and nanostructured materials;
- development and introduction of technologies for production of semi-products and products from nanostructured commercial metals and alloys, as well as intermetallics;
- development of recommendations on the practical use of the obtained research results and participation in their commercialization;
- training of highly-qualified scientific, engineering and technical personnel.
At the present time, the institute employs highly-qualified scientific personnel, including 1 Honored Scientist of Russia, 16 PhDs, 3 professors. Since the institute’s establishment, 23 PhD theses have been prepared and defended in the relevant research topics. The publications of the institute’s staff members are among the most cited in the field of physical materials science.
Since 2007 the Institute has been organizing on a regular basis the International Symposium “Bulk nanostructured materials: from fundamentals to innovations (BNM)”. About 300-350 participants from over 25 countries participate in this symposium, held every two years. In 2009 and 2011 the symposium was organized jointly with the Congress on Nanotechnologies, which allowed attracting participants from other areas of nanotechnologies to get acquainted with the problems of bulk nanoSPDmaterials. Such cooperation led to new scientific results and developments, presented in our web-site.